As we move into the hottest days of summer here in the Gainesville area, you want to be confident that your air conditioning system will keep your home cool and your family comfortable. You can avoid a lot of common A/C problems by following a few simple steps:
- Provide unobstructed airflow to the outdoor unit. The A/C condenser needs plenty of air to operate efficiently. Keep grass and shrubbery trimmed to avoid blocking the unit. Clean grass clippings or other debris from the unit. Plant shrubs or build a fence panel to block the unit from direct sunlight.
- Keep the indoor system clean. Clean the evaporator coil on a regular basis and replace the air filter monthly. Keep supply and return registers free of dust buildup. Don’t block vents with furniture, carpets or other obstructions.
- Get a seasonal tuneup. Have an HVAC contractor come out at least once a year to tune up the system. The qualified technician will check electrical connections, make sure refrigerant levels are correct and perform other basic maintenance tasks to keep your system running efficiently.
If you notice that your home isn’t cooling properly this summer, you may be able to troubleshoot and fix some common A/C problems yourself. Here are some things to check before you call your HVAC contractor for professional assistance:
- Does your system have power? Be sure your equipment is plugged in or turned on, and that your thermostat is switched to “cool” and set at a temperature low enough for the system to come on. Replace any blown fuses or reset tripped circuit breakers.
- Is your system just not keeping up? Keep in mind that the air conditioner is designed for optimum performance in typical Gainesville summer weather. On unusually hot days, the A/C system may not be able to keep your house cooled down as much as you like. Be sure to use window shades to block incoming solar heat, and use ceiling fans to keep air moving in occupied rooms so residents feel cooler than the temperature may indicate.
Call us at Bounds Heating & Air for professional air conditioning service in your Gainesville home.
Image Provided by Shutterstock.com